Monday, October 22, 2007

“Attack on Swayback”

"Attack on Swayback" has always been a race I look forward to, not because my results are any good but because it’s just a fast/fun/challenging trail to ride. This year was no different. Rain came down the day before – packing down the trail nicely – and cooler weather moved in – low 50’s at sunrise and upper 60’s by race time. Conditions were perfect, what could go wrong? Well unfortunately the event showed some poor planning and made for some tense situations with racers, course and results etc but that’s another story. Now to the race...
Probably the most "eventful" part of the race for me was the line up. I lined up along 5 other 30-39 guys and it appeared we have the 20-29 group in front of us and the 40-49 behind so I was set. Wow this is a small group we all laughed about. We are almost guaranteed top 5! So the whistle blows for the 20-29 group 15 feet in front of us and something odd happens. Half of the group did not move. Suddenly it hit us – the "other" 30-39 guys had just piled up right behind that group and we now ended making up the BACK row of racers for my start. Let me tell you, that stressed me out! I have never started a race anyplace other than the front row and have always considered that to be key to racing if you’re not the sandbagger that can just start late and blow by the field in the last five miles and come out with your arms in the air. I’m that guy – not the sandbagger but the one that has to stay with the front to be in the front, you know, the guys better known as the "mid-pack hackers". Nothing worse than starting in the back and some yahoo clips a tree 30 seconds into the woods creating a traffic jam. So now I’m nervous and bummed. Oh well...."FOCUS!" I said to myself.
Whistle blows and I start looking for holes in the group, the guy in front of me has trouble clipping in, just to the right another guy had both feet planted on the ground for the whistle so he’s late to start. Now I’m saying "FOCUS and PATIENCE!". Eventually I find a line, shift down and crank thru the group getting up into the top ten. We have another straight away – after a turn – which gives me enough room to climb into (what I believe is) 6th place before the woods. That’s all I could ask for after being way in the back. Sure enough as soon as we enter the woods I hear a crash behind me somewhere and some people begin to complain as others apologize. Did I mention it’s key to get out in front before you enter the woods in a race? Well that’s why!
The rest of the race is uneventful until the last three miles or so. Before then it was clean fun racing for the 8 or so of us. Tight pack riding a good pace and slowly people begin to peel off eventually leaving me in what I believed was 2nd place as I begin my second lap. I’ll tell you now that come to find out a local had flown off the front shortly after the start never to be seen again. So I was in 3rd place, not 2nd.
Stroll along a few miles and I begin to feel the true pain of racing with 3 miles left but still hanging on to the second place guy. Two other guys catch up to us and I eventually just have to let them pass. I knew I did not have legs to sprint away from them at the finish which is a quarter mile "sweet" but fast fire road. I stayed close but couldn’t stay with them. I could literally see them sprinting to the line I was so close. Oh well, that’s life. I crossed the finish line in 5th place (19 racer field) and pretty happy with it. Finished off the season skimming a top 5 and with a blown fork. Yea, I got home and noticed my fork’s right leg was drooling oil. I’m sure selling that free t-shirt on eBay will lessen the blow of a $150 repair. Ahhh, it’s all worth it.
As for CBR, well we had a great showing. I drove out there with Gabe Jr. and Dayton drove out with Barry riding shotgun. Probably the largest CBR mtn bike crew I’ve seen this year. They can recap their own races if they want but here are the numbers...

Gabe Denis Jr. - 1st place Beginner, 19 and under (he had an interesting race, ask him about it)
Dayton Preston – mid pack Sport, 40-49
Barry "I don’t ride" Carswel – 3rd place Expert overall, 1st in age group
Jose Mendez – 5th place Sport, 30-39
Don’t forget time change is approaching. Buy some good lights and join the CBR mtn crew for nighttime riding at Flat Rock over the Winter. Beats taking the COLD wind on the road. Good times!

JOSE

No comments: