Sunday, February 3, 2008

Scott Matty, you will be missed!
















Matthew Scott Matty


February 3, 2008 is a very sad day. Scott Matty was lost in a tragic accident while returning from a Sunday training Ride. The day started like many similar Sunday morning rides. Several people rolled out onto lightly used county roads. Our group had six riders and we planned to travel from Ellerslie to Talbatton and on to Buena Vista, Georgia and back. It would be a nice 85 mile ride. The weather was nice and Scott commented that he wished all our rides had weather like today.

Jeff Davis
We reached Geneva and Scott and Jeff Davis decided to cut their ride short to get home earlier. Unfortunately for all of us, more than the ride was cut short. As they were riding single file along the white line on the right of the road, a young driver hit both Jeff and Scott from behind. They were just 2 miles from their parked cars. Scott passed away at the scene and Jeff was airlifted to the hospital. Jeff underwent the first surgery to relieve pressure on his spine. He will have at least two more surgeries for fractured disks and multiple breaks in his left leg. His prognosis is good with a long and painful rehab and recovery.



Our prayers go out to the families of both Scott and Jeff. We are fortunate that Jeff will remain with us and be back on his feet soon. Scott was the proud father of three beautiful girls. He also leaves behind a loving wife Sherry.



In Scott's death we have lost a fine man. Scott was the friend you always wanted, always smiling, happy and just fun to be around. If he was on the bike - he was attacking or just about to. You always knew what to expect. The profound sadness I feel with his passing is beyond words and will be with me for a very long time. Scott you will be missed!


8 comments:

Paulie said...

When I heard the news it just drained me for the rest of the day. I thought about all of the team meetings and rides I shared with Matty.....always a positive and great guy to be around. He was the first to offer his time and help to whatever cycling events we sponsored. I took time to look over cycling photo's I have and the last one I personally took of him was while we were on a group ride out on Wildcat before Jose Solis' headed to the desert. The photo is of Matty on his bike and grinning his big grin...

blragan20 said...

This is such a sad story. I don't personally know Matty but i know several people who ride that same road. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the family and friends who are mourning his loss.

Ataraxium said...

We got the call about twenty miles out from the end of our ride and it really took the wind out of our sails. To know that such a great guy is gone...He will be missed.

Doc said...

Scott will be missed by many of us, but his family will suffer the most. I think the cycling community and the community in general needs to step up and do what we can to help them. I am suggesting we start a Matty Family Benefit Fund. Maybe the Mexico Beach Ride could sponsor this fund this year as we did fro Bridges Learning last year. Something that the cycling community did for a fallen rider in a town I lived in before was to do a "Missing Man" formation as part of his funeral procession (with the family's permission, of course). Let's get our heard together and do what we can for his family.

Accounting | Tax Services said...

God Bless Scott and Jeff. My wife's biggest fear is what happend to these two fine gentlemen. I too have 3 young girls - mine are 5 and under. So, Jeff's death really hits home. My family pray's for Jeff's wife, kids and family. As well as a full recovery for Scott. Please let me know if there is anything my family or the Georgia Cup can do.

Micki Matty said...

I just wanted to let the club know how much we have appreciated all the kind thoughts and gestures during this sorrowful time. Its easy to see why Scott enjoyed your company and spent so much time with you all. A special Thank you to Glenn K. for the heartfelt speech that was so eloquently written and emotionally spoken. May you all have an Angel riding over your shoulder. Remember that a life of doing what you love is better than a long safe life of doing nothing passionately! Thanks again! Michelle Matty Helms (Scott's sister) and the Matty Family

Chris Annunziata said...

One of our racers just let me know about this terrible tragedy. Please accept our sincere condolences.

Chris
(Team AVX Bikes)

CyclingPops said...

Just wanted to let Scott's family and friends know that he will be missed by myself as well. I have know Scott for almost 20 years. Beginning at Coca-Cola, myself in Albany. But I will truely miss his great smile and grin. No matter what was going on, he always had it on. Our paths crossed at work, motorcycling and in cycling the last few years.
Scott, you will be missed.....Mike