Tuesday, July 31, 2007

NORBA National - Sugar Mountain, NC - 07/28/2007 - race report

[play-by-play as told by nicki sutherland, mountain biker chick]




No really, I won. I really did! This is a picture of the podium. The camera was not available at the time of the awards ceremony.




This past weekend, I participated in my first National event at Sugar Mountain, NC. I had never been to one of these so additionally, I was looking forward to the opportunity of watching the top pros in action. I checked the weather before we headed up there, and with high chances of rain all weekend, it was set to be an “interesting” time.

We headed up there on Thursday. It took us 7 hours to get up there. I wanted to set up camp before the sun went down, and luckily we were able to do that, and thankfully without rain. We found a great site that was under several huge trees, which definitely came in handy during the “on again, off again” rain throughout the weekend. Our temporary home was quite cozy, except for an unfortunate leak in the air mattress and me not being able to get the lantern started the first night. Oops!

Friday morning, we headed to Sugar Mountain Ski resort to check in, pick up my package and race number, and pre-ride the course. The rain had ceased, but it didn’t matter as the ground was slick and muddy. I started up the mountain and had to dismount three times within the first mile due to loss of traction. It was a steep climb. I was running the smallest gear I had and wishing I had another. There is nothing more frustrating that spinning your wheels and not going anywhere.

The elevation was such that you just had to accept that you would be sitting back and slowly grinding up it. There was no sprinting or surging to be made within the first ascents. Three more times I had to push my bike through slippery sections before I reached the top of the mountain. Then it was time to descend. I had heard that the single track sections of the descent were part of the old down hill course, so I was curious to see how bad they were. I wish I had my camera. I don’t think I can truly describe the mess. You had to experienced it yourself. It was a combination of rocks, roots, mixed together by mud slush which pretty much took control of your bike as you tried to navigate through it in a “controlled” slide. I attempted most of the sections to gauge my skill and prepare myself for race day deciding that it wasn’t worth the risk and that I would be walking most of it, and very carefully.

When I got through the last section of gnarly descending single track, I was relieved that all I had left was a straight shot down the mountain. But I quickly realize that I should not be too hasty in my excitement, as going in a straight line on a wet trail that is a mix of mud and grass, with tires that or now fully caked in mud leaving no room for traction, was not something to be taken lightly! I finished and started to psych myself up for having to do two laps of that, when D came running toward me with much excitement. Apparently, due to the nasty conditions, they had changed all the women's laps to be one less. I somewhat felt cheated and relieved at the same time.

My bike and I were caked in mud and I headed to the supplied water hose to promptly clean us. Later, I still had to pick out strands of grass and packed mud! She will never be the same again… sigh.

Race day and riders are line up at the start in their categories. For some reason, I was not that nervous about this race. I don’t know if it was because I had no expectations, didn’t know anybody, or knew that I only had to get through it once. I had gotten a somewhat good warm up with one of the riders in my group and then was just waiting for them to count us down. The whistle blows and I get my shot gun start as always, but not pushing too hard as I know as soon as I take the corner, we will start going UP and I needed to not be blown up for the long climb ahead. We all slowly crawl up the mountain. I definitely think that the pre-ride paid off. I had planned what I would need to do in my head, and I tried to follow it without getting discouraged by not being able to climb the whole way. As soon as I lost traction, I was off the bike. I did a combination of running and walking. At some points, running would make you slide. We all fought our way to the top. We were head to head with each other. I pushed myself to be just ahead of the rest up the last steep turn and quickly got back on my bike, gaining speed and momentum which helped propel me up the next incline. My goal now was to keep moving forward. I never saw anybody else in my class again after the first mile and a half, but I didn't waste any time looking back either. Once I caught up with some of the back of the men’s pack, I was motivated to keep going and try to pass as many as I could.

The climbing is over and now it’s time to make the descent. The sections in the woods are slightly drier than yesterday, but not by much. Still they seemed slightly more manageable. I am able to stay on the bike through 3 of the sections, but then finally had to succumb to the rocks, roots and mud slush. My better judgment told me to walk it instead of trying to struggle through there in a control slide. I unclipped one foot through parts, pushing myself through. On others, I totally had to dismount and carefully walk through. Walking on wet, muddy baby rocks with cleats is like walking on ice! Add the fact that you have to keep both yourself and your bike from falling makes it extra fun! These sections made “blood rock” at Oak Mountain look like a walk in the park!

I slide down the last section of single track and hit the open run down the mountain to the finish. My excitement starts to build, and I am almost hitting 30 mph. I remind myself that I have to bleed speed in order to remain in control through the slick sections. The downhill descent ends in a sharp 45 degree turn then rolls around into the start/finish area. I am done and managed to hold on to my lead to cross in first place having covered 6 miles and 1000ft of climbing. The race was the shortest this entire year but one of the toughest. Chatsworth was still worse! I was thrilled to have finished so well on such a tough course and at my first national event. I think I may go to this again next year, but hopefully conditions will be better. Of course, it won’t really make it easier, but maybe I will be able to stay on my bike a little longer. =)




The aftermath: the pictures never do it justice. The bike was trashed!





No comments: